Tuesday, January 12, 2010

La Trinidad, Benguet Philippines

La Trinidad, Benguet Philippines

Sadly this last week I have been suffering from yet another bug, still not able to identify it but I am feeling better today. It really is no fun to be sick but I did get a lot of reading done the last few days!

Anyway on to the good tales, I again have been visiting some beautiful spots here in Tublay and the surrounding area. Last Wednesday I went to my host families Organic Farm that they are in the process of turning into an Eco-Tourism destination. It is beautiful and so peaceful and relaxing!! It is about a 40 min. hike from the main road in Acop and once you reach the site there are endless hikes and rows and rows of organic vegetable terraces. As I hiked up through the lines of pine trees and tried my best not to slip on the pine needles (very slippery) I realized how blessed I am to be here and have this spot at my finger tips  Ambuklao Lake
Ambuklao Lake
. Not to mention the fact I will get to be part of helping build this space as and eco-tourism site and environmental education and retreat space. My host Aunt Olive and I had wonderful day at the farm hiking to spots that had views of three barangay's and enjoying each others company. A beautiful relaxing day in the woods!

Later that week my host Aunt Marlyn (who is in charge of turning the farm into and Eco-Tourism site) and I went to see an empty house just down the road. She wants to turn the space into an office, registration center, and canteen for travelers to the farm and other local attractions. It is a wonderful space and as I stood in the door way and began to grab a hold of her vision and picture my own for the space it hit me what a perfect assignment this is for me!!! As many of you know I have talked a lot about wanting to open a Social Justice/ Environmental Education Leadership camp in the states and here I am in the Peace Corps helping a community establish environmentally sound attractions, preserve native beautiful land and traditions, and have discovered a space for educational materials and an outreach center. While there is a lot of work ahead I was thrilled to make these connections and look forward to the big learning process I have ahead.

Last Saturday my host family and I went to two lakes/dams in the area Amboklau Dam
Amboklau Dam
. Both are still operating and while the views of the lake, boat rides and even swimming in one was very fun, in the back of my mind I was thinking about the adverse environmental/social effects these dams have had to the local people. Ambuklao Dam has been in operation for over 45 years and provided all of the electricity to Makati one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Manila. My host Aunt Marlyn, who is a phenomenal source of local knowledge, described to me that when the dam opened it displaced the entire community and contaminated the water so much that the local Tilapia fish struggled for many years. It is only recently that the sorounding community and the fish are being reintroduced. Oh, the constant balance that needs to be found between our excessive need for energy and the need to protect, preserve and appreciate our natural treasures all around!

Next week I have my first meeting with the Tourism Council in Ambongdolan and I am very excited to get the ball rolling and begin to discover the steps necessary to build the caves for eco-tourism and more importantly get to know the community there. As always more tales to come and there are great pictures included in this update. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment